Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day


Today is St. Patrick's Day, an occasion celebrated around the world by the Irish. Unfortunately, like Cinco de Mayo, the beer companies have pushed the commercialization of this day, minimizing the original religious and cultural significance. I have even seen how Guinness, the Irish brewer, is attempting to make St. Patrick's Day, a national holiday. I think everyone would be better off, if they simply picked up a copy of Dubliners by James Joyce and read it.

I will do a few things today. First, I will wish my brother Patrick, a happy feast day, since this is the day of the saint that he is named after. To be named Patrick in an Irish family is a pretty big responsibility and he has lived up to that honor.

Second, I thought that I would post some photos that I took when I was in Ireland in August 2006. From top to bottom, they are a photo of a statue of St. Patrick from a church in Central Dublin, some farmland in Western Ireland and a night shot of the Bank of Ireland located in Dublin. Happy St. Patrick's Day.

No comments: